Personalized Map Details
- May I order a set of 6, 8, or 10 mapkins? Yes! But as of right now, you have to place a special order. Prices are $95, $150 and $180 respectively. Create a special order here.
- May I customize the text on my arrow? Yes! "I am here" or "I was here" are the defaults. Some examples of customized arrows include: "We lived here", "Grant's House", "We got married here" or "Nana's House". It's really up to you, so have fun!
- May I add more than one location? Yes. Hit the Special Order button on the product page to send us a note about your additional markers. Don't worry about filling out the order form, we'll do it separately with the appropriate design fee included. Design fee charges are as follows:
BLANKET: $10 for 4-7 markers | $20 for 8-11 markers | $30 for 11+
MAPKINS: $10 for 2-7 markers | $20 for 8-11 markers | $30 for 11+
- May I add a few more icons to my map? If there are any missing elements to your map, I will happily add them. For instance, if the school your child goes to or your favorite bar is missing I'll add those for free.
- I would like to see more of the surrounding area. Can you zoom out? Yes! There are a few zoom levels we'll play around with in the map approval stage.
- How long does the Map Approval stage take? One marker takes about 2-3 days. (Remember, right now it's just Nikki making the maps!) If you have a special order or want to zoom out to see more area, then it can take anywhere from 3 to 5 days.
- What if my location is boring and in the middle of no where? We can work together to add some of your personal information like your favorite book store or place to eat or the hospital where you were born, etc. If we can't make the location work I will refund your money immediately, we can always wait until you move to a more interesting place. ;)
- May I submit my own map design? Whoa! If you are a talented designer who knows how to work with OpenStreetMap and Mapnik, then let's talk! Send me an email.
Orders and Shipping
- Why is there an approval stage? Each map is made to order. No map is the same, so I want to make sure all of the elements you want are included (markers, icons, favorite parks, etc.) and that take a little time.
- Do I have to pay before I approve my map? Yes, I can't set up an ecommerce site any other way, sorry. I tried. The system is set up to process returns quickly. So far I haven't had to make a return, knock on wood! If you absolutely still want to buy a map textile, but feel uncomfortable placing the order first, request a "special order" and we'll handle everything offline. A handling fee of $10 will be added to your invoice.
- When will I receive my order? The pre-approval stage takes a few days depending on how customized your order is and right now we have a fairly long queue. It may take up to 5 days to start your order, then 2 days or so for the approval process. Once approved by you, our printer takes about 7-10 working days to print and sew your textile. Shipping can take anywhere from 2-5 days depending on how far away you are from San Francisco. Overall from ordering online to the mailbox is about 3-4 weeks. We'll keep you posted along the way. If you have a special occasion you are buying for, please keep this timing in mind and let me know ahead of time.
- Who is your shipper? To save you money, we use the US Postal Service, 2-5 Day delivery. Shipping costs include insurance and tracking. Again, depending on where you live those costs can range from $8 - $20. Each order details shipping costs before the transaction is complete.
- Do you take International orders? Yes! Paypal accepts most currencies.
- Do you ship Internationally? Yes! We use USPS Express Mail 2-5 Day delivery. In some countries you will have to pay an additional VAT (value added tax) fee. Unfortunately I can't estimate that cost from my side. International shipping has been in the $27 - $45 range depending on where you are in the world.
- May I expedite my order? Do you mean cut in line? No, sorry. But, if you'd rather pay for overnight shipping, I will happily provide you a quote. Just send an email to email@example.com with your order number and I'll send you a UPS overnight quote.
- What is your Return Policy? Because the custom maps have been pre-approved a return based on the content of the map is highly irregular and not usually approved. If however there is an issue with the construction (poor sewing, misaligned edges, etc) we will happily make you a new one. Please email me immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org if this is the case.
- How are the blankets and napkins made? We use a local San Francisco digital printer. They are fabulous! For the blankets, the map files are printed out on a what looks like a large transfer machine. Then they go through a heat machine that bakes the ink into the fabric. The inks are toxin free. The napkins are made by rolling the fabric through essentially a large ink-jet printer. The dyes used for this process are also toxin-free. Both products are then sewn in the same facility by a group of really nice ladies who love working on our maps. Sweat-shop free!
- Are the blankets safe for children? Absolutely! The dyes are toxin-free and permanent, so don't worry if the blanket is also used as a pacifier. I will say however, that like all fleece, our blankets are flammable. Please don't keep the blanket in their crib or near a flame. Like NEVER!
Our textiles are not mass produced with chemicals to set the color, nor are our dyes unnatural. So as much as we've tried our best to create a beautiful textile for you, some fading may occur over time, especially in the Mapkins. Please wash both the blanket and your Mapkin set in cold water only. Try not to dry them in a dryer if you can help it. Hang drying is my first suggestion. If needed, a fluff cycle in the dryer works best.
Fleece also has a tendency to pil over time. To get rid of some pilling, a sweater comb should do the trick!
Please email Nikki at email@example.com if the answer to your question cannot be found here.